The Other Hayashi Restaurant with the Best Yakiniku, Since 1953 in Kyoto!

I'm recounting several reasons to go back to Japan and giving tips on where to hang out in Kyoto! Reasons #4 and #5 to go back in Japan are in this post while Reasons #1, #2 and #3 are in the previous Kyoto post. One of my super recommended things to do is to find this 59-year-old (2012) restaurant in Kyoto named Hayashi! If you haven't read my first Kyoto post, then I suggest you read How I Got to Kyoto from Osaka before proceeding to this post.

melody-co-hayashi-restaurant-kyoto-japan.jpg

Reason #4 - You're bound to have a food trip in Japan!
We were super hungry and I remember David asking me to choose between a restaurant in front of us (after walking so long) or walk a little more across the street. I decided to risk it and to see what's in the other farther one across the street. We chanced upon this last homey-looking restaurant near the Kyoto subway.

hayashi-restaurant-kyoto-はやし.jpg

If there's anything I'd like to do on our last day, it was to eat something good and have beef for a change instead of fish and pork. David was searching for some Japanese burger steak while I was dreaming of thin strips of beef yakiniku. David could speak a little Japanese so he got his burger steak.

david-malaysia-asia.jpg

I turned to the lady and asked one of the only Japanese word I could muster, "Yakiniku?" and she nodded haha. They had everything we blurted out and we each got a jumbo plate of our dream dishes.

beef-yakiniku-meal.jpg

It was the best meal I've had for this trip, the most worth-it meal ever and seemed the most authentic too.

hayashi-restaurant-kyoto-はやし.jpg

There was no English menu and sign language worked haha. It was family-owned and even the grandmas were manning the cashier and cooking in the kitchen.

hayashi-restaurant-japan-はやし.jpg

When we went out, it turned out that this restaurant was, um, more than 59 years old?!

hayashi-restaurant-1953-kyoto.jpg

  • I asked help from a friend to translate the text above :)  
    They're open from 10:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. 
    "Since we opened our doors for business opened in 1953, we have been dedicated to giving our customers the best (lit: satisfying our customers).
    There are seats available on the second floor. We accept reservations for functions and events. Feel free to contact us should you have any inquiries."


We had the most awesome shock of our lives and we were both smiling on the way back to Osaka, all ready for the flight home and to end this trip. Although we walked a lot and didn't follow any set itinerary, the day turned out perfectly. We found our way, took tons of pictures, found the first signs of spring in Japan and had the best last meal before a flight. Kyoto was worth all the trains, walking energy and money we had spent.

Directions to my best yakiniku in Kyoto: If you're looking for it, it's in front of a bus stop.

hayashi-restaurant-kyoto.jpg

You can see this menu just outside of the Hayashi restaurant in Kyoto =)

hayashi-restaurant-kyoto.jpg

Here's the restaurant name - Hayashi はやし! 


はやし hayashi restaurant kyoto

(There's another high-end Hayashi restaurant that comes up in Google searches). Based on what I remember, going back to the subway Exit 2 of Higashiyama Station - we turned right to a corner and you can see a McDonalds and walked straight (subway exit on the right). Just head the other way.

mcdonalds-japan.jpg

Reason #5 - I know a little more about Japan now and how to go back haha.

We got back to Osaka in the early evening - just a little past 6 p.m. and it was time to start walking and lugging our things from Hotel Vista Grande Osaka to the JR Namba Station (warning - bad idea when it's raining and if you have lots of luggage like me...).

airport-express-japan.jpg

They introduced us to the most convenient and finest ride in Osaka to the Kansai International Airport next - the JR Airport Express.

nankai-airport-train.jpg

It's like the Hong Kong Airport Express and the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Osaka (bullet train).

jr-line-osaka.jpg

I breathed a sigh of relief after the baggages were in the cabin compartment and there was no place else to go but sit down - no more transfers like getting off and on a bus or any modes of transport to get inside the airport and no more walking haha (I should really learn to pack light...).

inside-jr-airport-express-osaka.jpg

We departed from the JR Kansai Airport Line (connected to the JR Namba station, Airport Express ticket costs 700 yen) and we arrived with plenty of time left for our flight.

airport-express-osaka.jpg

That's definitely more time to think more about this trip and how a lot can happen in a day, let alone in the last 7 days that I was here.

I'm not exactly sure but I believe there are shuttle buses available too (just click on the image).

shuttle-buses-map-osaka.jpg

What a super fun trip! And I'll see you soon, my new friends from another part of the world - Malaysia! =) Photo below by David of Malaysia Asia.

group-photo-osaka-subway

Thank you for the memories! Thank you, Air Asia X. As for Japan, I know there's plenty more for next time and you're waiting to unveil your wonders to me! Until we meet again =)

pink-cherry-blossoms.jpg



air-asia-x-premium-osaka.jpg

Got any restaurant suggestions and foodie finds or favorite transpo rides and routes in Japan, Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto? Tell me all about it below! To make it closer to home, what is your favorite Japanese food of all time? =)

The Other Hayashi Restaurant with the Best Yakiniku, Since 1953 in Kyoto!

39 comments:

  1. Try Udon-ya.. I haven't been to Japan pa kasi.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you for sharing your travel experiences. i like Japan! moshi-Moshi! I like the your picture with your friends...So happy and your picture under that tree of flowers.

    more power!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh shucks~ I would like to try to ride shinkansen~ And try to go to the Ghibli Museum if you're a fan of Hayao Miyazaki!~ I really would love to go there too~ And if you like to relax after a long day tour, you could at least try to bath at a Onsen~ :DD you could try Oedo Onsen Monogatari, you could go there through the Telecom Center Station or Yurikamome line~ :DD

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow nice post love to go there

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for sharing this i would love to travel to japan if i will be given a chance. i wish to go there with my baby and my hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are a lot of places I want to go to in Japan and I really wish I can go there soon :-) I want to go to shibuya, Tokyo and visit Hachiko's bronze monument! Then I would also love to dine at Roan Kikunoi (Kyoto Japan) where real gourmands go for the best of Kyoto kaiseki cuisine. I believe celebrity chef Yoshihiro Murata creates edible works of art with the freshest seasonal ingredients and the most painstaking attention to detail. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohayo Ms. Melody :) i want to go in Shibuya tokyo one of popular shopping and entertainment area. i love shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nagsearch po ako at according sa Google eh eto po top 5 restaurants sa Tokyo (Tofu:
    Few restaurants in the world are as memorable as Toufuya-Ukai. Near the foot of the Eiffel Tower–like Tokyo Tower, this tofu haven resembles an Edo palace. Situated around a Zen-style garden, with almost as many rooms as the Imperial Palace, Toufuya-Ukai serves just about every dish in the Japanese culinary lexicon, but it's the homemade twice-fried tofu that it is especially known for. Served within the kaiseki framework of multiple dishes presented in a particular order, the tofu is made from well water and handpicked soybeans and is served bathed in a seaweed-distilled broth, in a sweet miso sauce, seasoned in soy milk, or twice-fried. For those who want to bring a taste of Tokyo tofu home, Toufuya-Ukai has a shop next door with tofu packaged a multitude of ways. (4-4-13 Shiba Koen, Minato-ku; 81-3-3436-1028)


    Read More http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/diningtravel/restaurants/topfivetokyorestaurants#ixzz2M43lFMpL

    ReplyDelete
  9. hindi pa ako nakapunta ng japan pero yung cousin ko na nandoon ay sinasabi nya sa akin lagi sa chat yung tako-yaki sa osaka. masarap daw yun. gusto ko sana makabasa pa ng mga blogs tungkol dito. curious talaga ako at sana makapunta ako doon at matikman ito.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hindi pa ko nakapunta ng japan ang swerte nyo po..try nyo po sa yakimix ang dame pong japanese na pwede nyo makain dun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My most favorite Japanese food of all time? It's the "Crunchy Ebi Maki" of Jumbo Japs (There was a branch of it in Gateway mall before but it's now gone :( I think there's a branch of it in Makati). I loved it because it has lots of Japanese mayo in it and I just love mayo. I can't really describe how it tastes, but for me it is the best version of a Maki :D (And it has been years since I last tasted it :( ) And aside from Ebi, I really like Tempura and Beef Gyudon. These are the foods that complete my japanese experience. :D I would love to experience Yakimix someday (haven't tried it yet.. :( ) :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never been to Japan! But I have heard about this famous Japanese chef Jiro Ono. Located near Ginza subway station. Typical meal costs P16,000 for twenty (20) sushi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haven't been travel to japan yet but i would love too. When it comes to their food i only know is the famous sushi. (haha) meanwhile i conduct a research about resto's in japan the #1 is L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon but their dishes have roots in French, Italian, Spanish and even American cuisine. I don't know if i'll recommend them or what? but they are the #1 restaurant in japan. If i'll be given a chance i will definitely go to japan & explore that country =) Oh by the way i want to try to ride on JR Airport Express. It's so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't tried eating cold noodles...Soba?
    I would love to go to japan because of their rich history which is well preserve, food and Anime!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think this one would be interesting. Try the best sweet crepe in Harajuku. It was from a store located right at one end of Takeshita Dori; on the other end from the JR Harajuku Station.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Haven't been to Japan but would definitely love to travel to and experience japan someday with my family. Eversince I was a teenager I've loved sushi - tuna sashimi has been my fave! Japanese food is my favorite cuisine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. My favorite Japanese food of all time is Squid Misono. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. According to my sister who had her vacation at Japan in 2006, Tempura is the best food she ever tasted and she all ever wanted in Japan! Sadly, I won't be able to try it cause I'm allergic to shrimps. :(
    Well, my all time favorite Japanese food is Beef Yakiniku! I can live if it's my viand everyday. :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Try Ramen at Kyushu Jangara – Harajuku.
    "The soup stock here is tonkotsu (pork bone) based, made from slow roasting pork bones for hours, sometimes even days. You can usually pick up a strange smell in the air that is characteristic of the tonkotsu stock making process." -By: matadornetwork.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I would like to try to ride shinkansen

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ramen, different flavor and soup base for each place. yummm

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Takoyaki, California Maki, Yakisoba, Beef Misono & Ramen.. Haven't been to Japan but love to go there too!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i haven't been to japan but i tasted the takoyaki here and the okonomiyaki, beef gyuudon is also delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so envy you've been in Japan already! I always love Japanese food especially okonomiyaki, tempura and yakiniku! I always crave for them :D

    I wish I could visit Japan soon so that I can taste various dishes from their. I guess, it has a different feeling if you can actually eat Japanese foods in Japan compare to its outside country right? Hehe :)

    Thank you so much for sharing! Arigatou~ ^^

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't been to Japan but would very much like to go there is given the chance. Japanese foods that I like are the tuna and salmon sushi and the california maki.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Haven't been too Japan and hope someday will get a chance but really love their sushi

    ReplyDelete
  27. I haven't been to Japan yet. My favorite Japanese food is sushi & takoyaki balls

    ReplyDelete
  28. Shrimp tempura will always be in my list. My son loves it too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't been to Japan but I want to! My favorite Japanese foods are sushi, California maki and ramen!

    ReplyDelete
  30. have not been to Japan but hopping. Love their yakisoba

    ReplyDelete
  31. How I wish I can go to Japan but never experience going there but my favorite food is California Maki and Beef Misono. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Got any restaurant suggestions and foodie finds or favorite transpo rides and routes in Japan, Tokyo, Osaka or Kyoto?
    Answer: Osaka
    To make it closer to home, what is your favorite Japanese food of all time?
    Answer: My favorite japanese food are Beef Teriyaki and Sushi Rice.
    If you haven't been to Japan or haven't tried Japanese food?
    Answer: I'd like to try.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow! Ive never been to Japan but It is my No. 1 dream destination! :D I would love to try the authentic Pudding in Japan., But my Best Japanese food Buddies are Chicken teriyaki (I'd defy my chicken allergy just to eat this one :P ), The Oh so Yummy Tempura and of Course, the Miso Ramen!

    ReplyDelete
  34. To make it closer to home, what is your favorite Japanese food of all time?
    I love tempura and ramen.

    The documentaries about Japan that were shown on PTV 4 were very informative. Kahit di pa nakapunta ng Japan, parang nandoon na rin ako habang pinanonood ko ang mga japanese.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Never been to Japan but my all time fave Japanese food are Beef Teppanyaki and Sukiyaki..

    ReplyDelete
  36. Is siopao a Japanese food hehehehhee, Katsu for me, any katsu dish would be great

    ReplyDelete
  37. I haven't been there. I love Takoyaki and California Maki. And oh, I also love Japanese chocolates. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you =)