A Week in My Life: Surgery Recovery Food for Wisdom Tooth Removal!

As much as I would want to go on a diet due to my borderline high triglycerides, I believe the notion of a reward prevailed these past few days when it came to my food intake after wisdom tooth removal surgery. Maybe in another week? Here’s my food diary so far for my recovery - a mix of food I would recommend, my cravings, Jeff’s creations and things we whipped up together! I am feeling 100% recently after I stopped counting the days haha.

melody-co-guiltless-getaways.jpg

Day 1 and for all other times

Ayuda from my mom’s kitchen: Chicken breast red rice arroz caldo - perfect for a rainy day and I have this whenever I’m sick. Oh, do you see that mini apple pie?! It's so yummy homemade by a college student named Sydney 😋

  recovery-food-surgery.jpg

If I could, I would make all the ginger disappear from sight! Maybe will use ginger powder next time (doc said this is included in the hot spicy things I should avoid actually).. I couldn’t bite into the big chunks also on the first 2 days. The big batch was prepared around the time of my surgery so it has time to cool and I can eat it for dinner! I liked that I ate nothing solid and food didn’t get stuck in my teeth too much. I used toothbrush though on the first day and it bled so much that I resorted to brushing with my finger until Day 2 to be really careful. I also avoided spitting and kept my tongue off the roof of my mouth so I don’t add pressure to the wound.

Day 2 morning 

J steamed: Steamed Japanese purple sweet potatoes - Got this from the neighborhood Viber (yey!). Sweet and soft if cooked properly!

recovery-food-surgery.jpg

Day 2 lunch

J cooked: Bland pesto cheese sauce out of a jar with pasta and parmesan to add more flavor 😅 A for effort to Jeff. Hehe. I gargled after lunch to get rid of the pasta that might get stuck.

recovery-food-surgery.jpg

Day 2 dinner

J created and assembled: This pretty dish was made of chickpeas, atsara, carrots, garlic sauce, pita and leftover purple kamote 😄Kudos to his very creative palette! It actually tasted yummy and blended so well. Too bad I couldn’t eat a lot since my mouth opening was limited. Even getting the pita and chickpea in there was tiring my jaw after a few bites. 

recovery-food-surgery.jpg

Day 3 breakfast and lunch

I forgot to take a picture of the mochi waffle experiment but it’s just so-so. I would gladly just use the White King creamy pancake mix in its original state! The buko pie from My Husband’s Craving arrived from Tarlac freshly made!

recovery-food-surgery.jpg

recovery-food-surgery.jpg

Then I made lasagna with zucchini, ricotta and mozzarella cheese.

recovery-food-surgery.jpg

Day 4 lunch

I had yummy Tinnie’s peanut butter (product of Romblon!) with bread for breakfast! I was happy enough to cook monggo soup with malunggay for the first time. Didn’t know mung beans cooked for hours until they softened when I turned the heat off and covered for 30 minutes because I almost gave up haha. 

recovery-food-surgery.jpg

The bitterness also went away magically 😏 I read after that malunggay is good for healing wounds!

recovery-food-surgery.jpg

Day 4 dinner

I tried to make Whaldorf salad but forgot to put in the grapes 😔 I put loads of apples, celery, chopped mixed nuts and fruits. Sarap but maybe not for dinner next time. I felt bloated after haha.

recovery-food-surgery.jpg

Jeff got hungry by 9pm and cooked this! Haha. He stripped lasagna sheets (as noodles) and cut up some leeks then he put udon soup anchovy base he found in the ref with a seasoning packet of seaweed and sesame seeds. I was about to eat it but remembered I couldn’t eat fishy stuff (hay..) Even ramen that went cold would have been nice during this time.. I could already eat warm stuff by this day (by the 2nd day actually but I just stayed away just in case haha). 

recovery-food-surgery.jpg

Day 5 breakfast

I whipped up a nice mushroom cheese parsley omelette and J made me some grape banana strawberry yoghurt milkshake. Yum! Lunch was yucky though as I failed at the broccoli chowder with homemade scrap veggie broth. I would have loved a great cream of something soup that I didn’t make! J didn’t want to blend it too 😭 Although at this point, I could already eat chunks but cream of broccoli with all chunks just made the flour thick soup more not yummy. I ate Twin Pops to make myself happier.

recovery-food-surgery.jpg

I just want to finish leftovers for dinner and rest following the failed soup. There’s always the huge tub of arroz caldo 😏

At this point, I was already feeling normal inside my mouth. I can no longer feel the dangling string the doc put in there and I already started using a toothbrush at Day 3.5. Although I get a slight headache every now and then, esp. when I sleep on my cheeks (both sides I could feel some tugging and pulling!)

I’ve been craving for Korean and Indian food though.. I had to move my Biryani Bros order to 2 weeks after to stay away from spicy 😢

Day 6

So I had to go to the office and had lunch out! It was a nice day for beef pho! I am still staying away from anything that is malansa - seafood and the like. At night, we made banoffee pie from a Lakatan banana!

recovery-food-surgery.jpg

Day 7

We had this yummy Tipiak grain bowl from Italy with longganisa from Farina's! The thread in my mouth mysteriously disappeared (probably melted already). My wound feels healed but I take great care not to eat too much food or starchy ones that gets stuck on the wisdom tooth side.

recovery-food-surgery.jpg

So I stopped my chronicles at the one week point but I'd like to recommend this Steamed Egg Chinese Style recipe I found from MadewithLau.com at Day 9! It was easy to make and so good! This, I think, is perfect even for small kids and lazy mornings 👌

recovery-food-surgery.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this one. I had fun making this post and hopefully I gave you a taste of our home.