Online Osaka-Style Okonomiyaki and Tataki Kyuri Cooking Class by Japan ByFood and SimplyOishii from Tokyo!

I recently just returned from a virtual cooking class with Japan ByFood and Miyuki-san of SimplyOishii in Tokyo, Japan! Let me take you on an Osaka-style okonomiyaki making experience and a side dish called Tataki Kyuri or Japanese pounded cucumber pickle! You can look forward to a cooking class in Tokyo with Miyuki-san in the future or an online class like me in the meantime πŸ˜‰

how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg 

So here's my okonomiyaki a few weeks before. I felt like I did something wrong because it doesn't taste like what I had in Japan haha. Miyuki-san said the premix okonomiyaki flour usually contains mountain yam (which is actually hard to find) and dashi so I might just give it another chance (add potato starch) and put it in the ref after opening. But maybe the major difference is not to take so much shortcuts in cooking haha.

how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg

My husband J encouraged me to use this iPad instead of my teeny iPhone for this Zoom online class and it's actually very useful. I can see presentations, take big photo screenshots, be hands-free and see in gallery view where she has another camera showing her prep area. I don't have to look up and down while talking to her unlike an actual class. I also decided to skip taking notes so that I can focus on making my okonomiyaki hehe. Miyuki-san is very well-travelled and speaks English well so there is no language barrier for her class. Our conversations just flowed, even my questions haha.

how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg

One thing I did differently this time versus other cooking classes is to read the recipe and ingredient list beforehand and to make sure I get the ingredients like a day before the class. I also did pre-measuring and pre-cutting so she doesn't have to wait for me that long haha. Of course, I also cleaned my kitchen and counter space (and changed out of my house clothes)! Haha. It felt like I was there from the start so I call this a complete cooking experience πŸ‘ŒI am also a master of my induction stove... Next thing I knew, I was good to go with all-purpose flour, baking powder, dashi granules, cabbage, spring onions, eggs, water, shrimp, pork belly, tenkasu and cheese!

how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg 

She said Osaka okonomiyaki just means putting everything you want and just mixing it all into the batter (Save the bacon/pork belly for later)! You can even put mochi in there!

how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg

What is crucial is the cooking in low heat (3-5 in my induction) - 3 minutes first side with lid on then arrange the pork belly on top, 4 minutes other side with lid and brown the bacon, last 3 minutes without lid to finish!

how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg

This was my first try ☝

how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg

We made the pounded cucumber with salt, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger at the same time. I would use cold Japanese cucumbers next time like hers. This is better chilled and sprinkled with sesame seeds.

how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg 

Not so bad, eh? But hers looked soooo good!!! Her batter was thinner than mine too haha. I was a little shy about the state of mine but J said it was good!

osaka-okonomiyaki-cooking-class.jpg 

I had the confidence and courage to finish off the next batch on my own after the class. And I was by myself in the kitchen again, just trying to make a great meal for me and my partner πŸ’•This is how it looks like without the toppings hehe. 

how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg

I guess I don't have to feel pressured that mine doesn't look the same. The flavor is important then perhaps after mastering for a few more times, I can think of ways to make it look better hehe. This, my friends, transported me back to Japan! My tips for taking online classes like this would be to set an alarm, to check the timezone of the class (this was a 9am Manila-time class and 10am Japan time), download Zoom or your click the meeting place app beforehand, to silence your phone, to get a chair in there (!) and to get the best ingredients! You can even ask your host before had if you have any questions on the ingredient list. Many thanks to Japan ByFood.com and Simply Oishii for this wonderful experience. Just go to the Byfood website and book a class!

how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg

Do send me a message if you have any questions about my post 😘

how-to-make-osaka-okonomiyaki-tataki-kyuri-pounded-cucumber-picklesclass.jpg