Busan Seaside and Coastline: Checking Out the Oryukdo Skywalk, Haeundae Beach and Busan Sea Life Aquarium!

I heard someone say that maybe because we have so many beaches in the Philippines, going to Korea in summer for the famed Haeundae Beach wouldn't be as exciting. Busan is so close to the open sea and the cliffside views are a sight to see starting with the Oryukdo Skywalk. As for the beach, I liked it because it's in the city unlike ours (where the closest is around 3 to 4 hours from Manila), it's summer there when it's rainy here and there's an underground aquarium if it gets too hot.

busan-aquarium.jpg

Our tour guide took us to the Oryukdo Skywalk first, which is located at the Igidae Park. You can see the Oryukdo Islands - sometimes 5 or 6 depending on the water level and angle. This is a view from the parking.

oryukdo-busan.jpg

There's an information center there and a coffee shop. This stop is part of the Igidae Galmaetgil (hiking course).

oryukdo-busan.jpg

Entrance is free to the viewdeck.

oryukdo-busan.jpg

You'll hear the water here more.

oryukdo-busan.jpg

oryukdo-busan.jpg

oryukdo-busan.jpg

If you have more time, following the trail and getting up close to the rocks and water looks fun (good exercise too!). Perhaps you can find the grandma divers (haenyo) there..

oryukdo-busan.jpg

We didn't exert much effort from the skywalk. You'd have to wear shoe covers though to protect the see-through glass. It's about a 40-meter drop.

oryukdo-skywalk.jpg

oryukdo-skywalk.jpg

I noticed stairs leading all the way down there!

oryukdo-skywalk.jpg

Can you see the islands? From this point of view, it looks like 2 only but they are actually just in front of each other. 2 in front then 4 at the back with the lighthouse (our guide said). Check out some more info here and here.

oryukdo-busan.jpg

Val and Ging are doing their selfies hehe.

oryukdo-busan.jpg

If the fog clears up, I bet that's a beautiful backdrop of the Busan skyline.

oryukdo-busan.jpg

I saw buses numbered 131 and 27 stopping here. You can also get here via Stop # 7 of the Busan City Tour Bus - Oryukdo Islands stop (with specific departure and arrival times)! 

oryukdo-busan.jpg 

oryukdo-busan.jpg

The good thing about tour buses is that they take you straight to the next destination in the itinerary. Our next stop was Haeundae Beach =) I've been here before but not at the peak of the summer season with all these parasols!

beach-busan.jpg

I just love how they look organized here.

haeundae-beach.jpg

I asked our guide and the folks from the Busan Tourism Organization (BTO) and they said that you can rent them. Maybe this is where some local could help you translate.

haeundae-beach.jpg

There were many people, yes, but there's more than enough sand for everybody because the shoreline was long.

busan-beach.jpg

It was actually very hot at 1:30 p.m. and I just wanted to pick a mat and lie down.

busan-beach.jpg

For a moment there, I wished I had around half a day or a whole day to do some beach bummin' in Busan.

haeundae-beach.jpg

The people were riding the waves near the shore and it was amusing to watch them. If our time wasn't so short, if I wasn't so tired from lack of sleep and I had tourmates willing to join me then I'd go in there too haha.

haeundae-beach.jpg 

haeundae-beach.jpg

There are lots of hotels nearby and it's so convenient to just cross the street and change if ever. If not, there are some shower stalls with pay and toilets available.

haeundae-beach.jpg 

haeundae-beach.jpg

Alas, we had to leave. Not that far away though because the Busan Sea Life Aquarium was right there. I've been here before and I was looking forward to some of the sea animals!

busan-beach.jpg 

busan-beach.jpg

Here's a jackass penguin. They're fun to shoot. Sometimes they slow down in front of you and they seem to be posing for the camera! Haha.

jackass-penguin.jpg

I love the speed of this dolphin (or is this the porpoise?). While I'm not sure which ones are in here to recuperate, I hope they're just as happy as I was just watching them play.

busan-beach.jpg

These are shark eggs. They have a section where you can touch them (there's starfish).

shark-eggs.jpg

This section was particularly popular with the parents and kids.

busan-aquarium.jpg

Others who dare bought tickets for the glass bottom boats.

busan-aquarium.jpg

I love this kiddie installation with all the clownfish!

busan-aquarium.jpg

They're adorable when you put so many together! Where's Nemo? Haha.

nemo-fish.jpg 

nemo-fish.jpg

I wasn't sure if these were the Convict Blenny or the Zebra Moray Eel. They look like Medusa's head to me hehe.

aquarium-busan.jpg

And at last - they still had the Jellyfish tanks! These made me love the Busan Aquarium more from the first time I went here. It's the only place, that I've discovered so far, where I could watch them without fear. You see, I'm absolutely terrified of them when they swim with me. But here, they look so beautiful and properly identified. I remember it used to be full though. So pretty... 

aquarium-busan.jpg 

jellyfish-busan.jpg 

jellyfish-busan.jpg 

jellyfish-busan.jpg 

jellyfish-busan.jpg 

jellyfish-busan.jpg 

jellyfish.jpg

They also house lots of stingrays and sharks in the bigger 2-floor type aquariums.

sea-life-aquarium.jpg

sea-life-aquarium.jpg

Some children or most that I've passed just freak out when they go into this tunnel... I wouldn't blame them, it was like Jurassic Park for me so I was out of there in less than a minute or two haha.

sea-life-aquarium.jpg

I was mesmerized when I saw a lone ocean sunfish or mola mola. It's the heaviest known bonefish in the world..

sunfish-busan.jpg

I wonder where the iconic Busan Aquarium porpoises went.. Maybe they were released already..

busan-aquarium.jpg

Once you exit, there's an Art Aquarium for those who want to draw with live inspiration =)

busan-aquarium.jpg

I saw this Sea Life Busan Aquarium coupon in our hotel lobby so maybe there's one in yours too ;)

busan-aquarium-coupon.jpg

This trip was made possible by Asiana Airlines PhilippinesKorea Tourism Organization ManilaUSTravel and the Busan Tourism OrganizationThank you so much for your continued support! Korea is now MERS-free as according to KTO and I just went there this August 2015.

Asiana Airlines flies once daily from Manila to Busan (3:30 a.m. to 8 a.m.) on an aircraft Airbus A321. You can book through your favorite travel agencies or at their site.

Things to Do in Busan - Seaside Day! Checking Out the Oryukdo Islands Skywalk, Haeundae Beach and Sea Life Busan Aquarium!