DIY Palawan Trip - Kayangan Lake, Coron Island Ultimate Tour, Maquinit Hot Springs, Lolo Nonoy's Food Station

A few years ago before blogging, circa 2008, I went to Palawan for the first time and fell in love with Coron. It's one of the most beautiful places in the Philippines for me and I said I would definitely come back. There was a difference in experience from the first and this last. As with most of my repeat trips, I was back there but it's always not the same. There are these little things that make a difference, my now developed passion that is travel blogging, the fact that I was the one who organized this Palawan trip and I was with another set of friends. I will make another post next on that old trip for fun hahaha. Read all about that old Coron trip here. Don't blame me if I can't tell you where it is exactly (definitely in Coron though), if my face is everywhere (I don't use cameras that much at that time) and my hair was like 3 inches long only there BTW hehe. This post is Part 2 of my latest DIY Coron Trip. I suggest you read from Day 1 or from Part 1 of this Day 2 to get the whole picture.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

This was already the last part of our Coron Ultimate Island Tour with Coron Galeri. It's the site where I took the most pictures and a must-go place here. I couldn't remember the name of this place when I was planning the trip. All I remembered was that very nice wooden plank I loved a lot and I found it again (haha) along with the spot with a view (picture above). We added another place called Maquinit Hot Spring to this day then ended the long day with dinner at Lolo Nonoy's.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

1:40 p.m. Compared to the other islands we went to during this day, this one where you can find the Kayangan Lake was more modern (with structures) and bigger (where boats can dock).

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

I brought my life vest, Roxy rashguard, snorkeling gear, goggles, sunblock, mosquito repellant and camera down coz I knew it's gonna be a long way up and down. The lake is open from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

Please be reminded that the whole island of Coron is the ancestral domain of the Tagbanua people (indigenous people).

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

Take nothing but pictures. Leave nothing but footprints. Keep nothing but memories. Kill nothing but time.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg 

This is the way in. You will get tired haha. Take things slow and be careful when "hiking".

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

You're about halfway there when you will be led to the side to catch a glimpse of this view. Sit down the rock and have your Coron picture here ;) Make sure not to take off your slippers. The ground is muddy and it will only make things slippery (like what happened to me, you will have a difficult time washing it off too or you wouldn't be able to at all)..

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

From this point on, hold on and get ready to go down.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

Tiis tiis lang, be patient, you'll get there. You'll hear water and see the hint of blue

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

It pays to be ready with everything you need when you get here. I assure you - you don't want to go back to the boat and repeat the climb haha.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

The wooden platform goes around and there are places for your things. Just find a spot that you can see from a distance. 

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

Everybody will be swimming anyway. The lake is huge. I swam with the vest on for a while and turned back when I couldn't see the bottom and anything underwater anymore. No more fish but something might suddenly grab me so I turned back hahaha. 

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

Do be careful when going down. Do not jump! A LOT injure themselves from the sharp rocks near the platform like my friend.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

I didn't find any other fish except for these needlefish. I don't want to go near them either haha. They can be found, big and small, in the shallower and clearer parts.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

The water here is brackish - part salty and part fresh. It's not as salty as the Coron sites we went to in the morning.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

There are also hundreds of little shells on the rocks and giant ants on the platform.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

I felt better on land and was also tired from all that paddling so I just watched them swim from the platform and took pictures.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

There's also a bamboo balsa you can ride on.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

3:10 p.m. Time flew so fast and we had to get back to the boat.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

You go up then down that familiar steep path. You might complain but it's worth it, at least for me, and it was part of the Kayangan Lake experience.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

There are diving package tours available by the way (this board I saw was in this island near the dock). It was pretty cheap but I think you won't get this price even with local travel tours (maybe you should negotiate directly).

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

There's a comfort room available here (near the boat) by the way so you can go before you go in and before you go home. From here, it was a 30-minute boat ride back to Coron Town.

kayangan-lake-coron.jpg

4 p.m. I sent a message to Kuya Dennis and he met us at the Coron port. Because we were already wet and on beach wear, we rented his tricy for P400 (5 people, roundtrip back to our hotel) to the Maquinit Hot Springs. The road was bumpy but we got there in no time. Maybe around 10-20 minutes.

maquinit-hot-springs-coron.jpg 

Hot Spring hours are from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. The entrance fee is at P150 per head. Visitors usually go here after climbing the steps of Mt. Tapyas (where you can see a view of Coron).

maquinit-hot-springs-coron.jpg

The price is a bit steep for the facility. You can leave your things at your own risk but it's a bit far from the hot spring pools.

maquinit-hot-springs-coron.jpg

There were a lot of people when we came. I think the best times to come though is afternoon after sunset, evening or early morning.

maquinit-hot-springs-coron.jpg

There's a walkway and a few more tables near the pool. The water temperature is around 38 to 41 degrees centigrade according to the sign outside. Sudden change in temperature or overstaying might leave you dizzy and dehydrated. 

maquinit-hot-springs-coron.jpg

I couldn't stay for more than 10 minutes haha. Please be warned that the pools (around 4 or 5) is full of green slippery moss / algae. I was a bit uneasy with the texture, dizzy with the super hot water and doubtful about hygiene so I was out of the pool in an instant haha. So I was saying, a bit steep for the price.

maquinit-hot-springs-coron.jpg

I remember we came here through this walkway the last time by boat.

maquinit-hot-springs-coron.jpg

This is the view from that back entrance. I'm not sure if it's still passable by boat now.

maquinit-hot-springs-coron.jpg

But once you get here, you're on private property (hence, the entrance fee).

maquinit-hot-springs-coron.jpg

There are also a few photo opportunities away from the people.

maquinit-hot-springs-coron.jpg 

5:30 p.m. We went back to the hotel to freshen up and left for dinner an hour later to go to Lolo Nonoy's Food Station. It was on the Top 6 at TripAdvisor for Coron Restaurants the last time I checked. 

lolo-nonoys-coron.jpg

You can choose to stay in nipa huts or in regular tables. Watch out for mosquitoes. 

lolo-nonoys-coron.jpg

The food came out fast. The Gambas Shrimp (P250) was okay although only a few pieces for one dish.

lolo-nonoys-coron.jpg

Given a choice, I would have ordered more Pork BBQ (P30/stick x 2).

lolo-nonoys-coron.jpg

We were waiting for the Bulalo (P280) so we didn't order anymore. Don't order it - tough meat and super salty.. Try other (less expensive and maybe silog/breakfast) things on the menu. The group reminisced about the Baby Back Ribs at Santino's Grill the day before hahaha. Plus, plus, Kuya Dennis said it's on the way from the Maquinit Hot Spring!!! You just have to be very patient with Santino's service and long serving time.

lolo-nonoys-coron.jpg

I was so tired by the end of this day from all the swimming and physical activities. One thing was for sure - I would take another Coron Galeri tour gladly again. We haggled for better terms the next day so stay tuned for that!

coron-palawan.jpg


Tour Details:
Look for Al or Mae Linsangan (popular in Coron Town) 
#11 San Agustin St., Barangay Poblacion 3,
Coron, Palawan


Check out my Coron Posts: