Everybody's Cafe in San Fernando and Nepo Mart Angeles Pampanga, a Second Look with Electrolux Discover-E Food Tour!

I've been to Everybody's Cafe once before a long time ago. It was a crash course to Kapampangan cuisine I must say (one that I didn't quite find time to appreciate) and one that left me hungry. All I could remember was the camaro. This year, Electrolux Philippines took us on a food trip in Pampanga through the Viajeng Kusinang Matua (literally old kitchen tour) of TravelTales, Inc. It was a whole day trip of gastronomic adventures. It started with Atching Lillian's kitchen for breakfast then we headed to the Kabigting's for some morning merienda. We were there at the original Everybody's Cafe in San Fernando, Pampanga for lunch (I've also included shots from the Nepo Mart branch). Meet Mr. Poch Jorolan, keeper of stories and family recipes of the restaurant (north of Manila) that Everybody is talking about =)

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

It took around 50 minutes to get from Kabigting's in Arayat (Pampanga) to Everybody's Cafe in San Fernando (Pampanga). Inside, you'll find a cafeteria-style restaurant. I think sometimes it's fun to have a live menu, turo-turo (point-point) style, don't you? Haha.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

We were ushered into the original veranda (now airconditioned). Mr. Poch said people used to gather here starting the 1950s and everybody was allowed to hang out (even Filipinos). It was a common area for all where they can enjoy traditional home-cooked meals, hence the name - Everybody's Cafe. You'll be able to see metalworks of Mr. Poch's grandfather - a blacksmith. There are stuff used to decorate this place from American ships in Subic and even missile containers converted into table parts.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

There are two big halls (one with a stage and a mural) now in this main branch so it's used for big parties and special occasions (they also do catering). Meanwhile, I was preparing myself for my last supper kinda haha. I felt so full already at noon!

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

For appetizer, we had ukoy / okoy (like shrimp cakes). The ones I see are usually made with all shrimp. I liked Everybody's version - less shrimp and made with papaya - to be dipped in vinegar. I would consider this a meal in itself. It's actually one of the best ukoys I ever had.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

Next up was their Fresh Lumpia. It's big and made from veggies.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

I like mine with lots of that sweet homemade sauce hehe.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

You have got to ask for their bottomless Bulalo Soup! I believe it comes free and unlimited with an order. =)

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

This is Murcon - one of their bestsellers. It's just ground pork, don't worry. It's full of flavor with every bite.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

In comes their version of Sisig. Mr. Poch said sisig is anything na "pinaasim" (made sour). I think I even heard a Sisig Mangga (mango). They've put in pigs' cheeks and neck for the dish below then cooked it with their own vinegar and soy sauce. I like my sisig crunchy and in smaller chunks. I think they have it here at Everybody's too.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

The next story is about Kapampangans making use of what's abundant in the area like dalag (mudfish) and hito (catfish) from the rivers and creating their own dishes. So, it's pretty normal to have these and Native Frogs dish called Betute in the menu. They are cleaned and stuffed with pork. This dish is seasonal. During October, they have the San Fernando Frog Festival in Pampanga as a way of celebrating that Pinoys survived on frogs before.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

I give you the Camaro cooked adobo-style (salt & vinegar) - these are mole crickets with their legs and wings removed one by one. They are typically found in rice fields. How do they "kill" the crickets? When they catch them, they drop them in a container with vinegar. This cleans them out and they "die" that way. One comment for this dish - like "wet cheese curls".

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

A kuya was doing this one by one in a distance. You can find this labor of love (removing cricket wings and legs) used to make classic Kapampangan dishes at Everybody's.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

I heard of a story from a friend that a locust infestation stopped when it got to Pampanga - because people made dishes out of the abundance. I don't know if it's true but hey, Atching Lillian's San Nicholas cookies were also borne because of the abundance of egg yolks in Pampanga. They used to serve wild migratory birds too at Everybody's.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

Last but not the least for the ulam, there's the Tapang Kalabaw. It's super dark, tastes sour and kinda mushy. Just different for me. They sell these at the Salcedo Market in Makati and the Crunchy Sisig too every Saturday morning. 

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

I'm looking forward to the since 1950s Palabok in my next visit to Everybody's. I hope they still have it in the menu. If it's not, then it's time for another definite round of some of these and the Saba con Hielo (bananas on milk and ice)! I'm starting to notice that I have a thing for Kapampangan-made desserts hahaha.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

They have lots of goodies in their mini store.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

As I've said, there are 2 branches of Everybody's Cafe. This is the one I went to before - at the Nepo Mart in Angeles. 

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

It's smaller but you can still have their specialties.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

There's the Lumpia that I ate way back haha.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

I believe there's Dinuguan, Buro and Fish too.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

This was the part I most remember - the cooking demo of the Camaro.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

More sauteeing of the Camaro.. 

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

And this is something I wanted to forget back in 2010 haha. Forgive me for not writing about this earlier.

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

My learnings from this 2013 trip include a part where there is a place for Everybody in Kapampangan cuisine and you won't necessarily starve if ever your friends want to do a food trip here - that this is a restaurant with a lot of dishes come back to again and again. I may not like to eat all of them but there are definitely dishes along my range that I'll come back for (while listening to the Kapampangan songs like Atin Cu Pung Singsing in the background at Everybody's) =)

everybodys-cafe-pampanga.jpg

San Fernando or Nepo Mart Angeles branch? You can go to both! Haha.

Main (Bigger): Del Pilar, Mac Artur Highway, San Fernando, Pampanga
(045) 860-1121 / (045) 961-7121 / 0922-8467121

PSJ Everybody's Cafe Angeles (Kabigting's has a branch there too so you can go get their unique halo-halo there! Haha)
Branch: 105-106 BPI Arcade, Nepo Mart, Angeles, Pampanga
(045) 887-0361 / 0922-8423755

Check out my other Pampanga food trip posts =)