Getting Lost in Japan - Chicken Karaage at Cafe Zill Sapporo, Things to Find and Buy in a Local Japanese Supermarket in Hokkaido


May 21, 2013 (Tuesday)

I didn’t want to go out today because I actually missed blogging while I’m here in Hokkaido. I’ve been here for more than a week now - touring, walking and eating just about anything - without internet connection. This is the first “me-time” I got in Hokkaido so let me tell you about why I’m so happy today =) I’m so thrilled that I got lost in Sapporo (Sapporo is a city in Hokkaido, Japan) - just a few hours ago hahaha.

cafe-zill-sapporo.jpg

Yesterday, I got tired of going from site to site in Hokkaido as if there’s no tomorrow. I went with a 7-day Hokkaido tour group and all the places we went to were amazing (I will tell you more in the next Japan posts). This is my 9th day here and I stayed behind with a few people to experience Sapporo a little more =) Today, I wanted to take things slow, write about some of my experiences, actually enjoy this teeny Japanese apartment a bit more and have a sense of what it is like to live here. While I do understand that I’m not certain when I’ll be able return here, I’m pretty sure that I want this time to recover, get lost on my own and travel at a snail’s pace for now.

For lunch, I looked for Café Zill Sapporo and found it eventually in 南 14 条 7 西 near Lawson, just across from 東光 (subway N10 green line).

cafe-zill-sapporo.jpg

My sister (who lives here now) recommended that I eat here if I wanted to go out for a while (in case I’m starving haha). I followed her map, apparently misunderstood it and got lost for around 45 minutes in the other direction 4 big blocks away hahaha. FYI, you can just go in a convenience store (konbini) like Family Mart, 7-11 or Lawson and ask for directions. They will reply in Japanese but you might be able to figure it out after a while (ask them to write it down) ;) Sometimes, the signs are partly in Chinese characters so I can understand a little in writing =D You can see this sign from far away. 

cafe-zill-sapporo.jpg

You just cross to the other side to get to Cafe Zill.

cafe-zill-sapporo.jpg

I found out that I ordered the Chicken Karaage – fried boneless chicken strips in potato starch and almonds.

cafe-zill-sapporo.jpg

They had no English menu for lunch but a little sign language helped.

cafe-zill-sapporo.jpg

Squeezing the lemon was fun with this thing and it pairs well with the chicken – a little “bitin” because you can’t have extra.

lemon-squeezer.jpg

I would order this dish again - it's good enough for me for the price and taste. They offer cheaper lunch menus in restaurants here although I’m not sure about this one - 700 yen comes with small rice and around 6 big pieces rice topping style. A single order according to the dinner menu costs 480 yen but maybe fewer pieces and no rice yet. They have dishes like lamb and tandoori.

cafe-zill-sapporo.jpg

The ambiance of the place is different like an enclave of sorts from the time I came in.

cafe-zill-sapporo.jpg

But it almost became like a Japanese conversation hub with ladies at the corner talking loudly and the sound bouncing all over the place..

cafe-zill-sapporo.jpg

 There’s also a floor-style dining experience available. 

cafe-zill-sapporo.jpg

Here's all the info you will need to find Cafe Zill. It closes at 2:30 p.m. for lunch then opens again for dinner.

cafe-zill-sapporo.jpg

I crossed the street and headed to the big supermarket 東光. I found a simple slip-on (light and bendable) walking shoes for 1980 yen – converting that to a very reasonable price of 940 pesos. I successfully dodged that one or else I will overspend again. Oh, the things I find in the supermarket haha.

sapporo-supermarket.jpg

I walked for a few meters and there was the pharmacy/cosmetic shop inside too. I bought these transparent waterproof tapes for my travel kit and picked up these breath right strips out of curiosity (I want to test it on people when I get home). Hahahaha.

waterproof-tape-snore-tape.jpg

I have a weak spot for supermarkets and its always fun to kill time going from aisle to aisle. At this particular local supermarket, there were ready-to-eat food like sushi, karaage (half the price of what I just ate but not so special looking hehe), mocha, tempura, etc. At the very last moment, I knew what I was going to get! Those juicy Hokkaido strawberries for 598 yen (I got a hold of much sweeter ones in the mountain a few days back for 1000 yen, no sugar needed)!!!

hokkaido-strawberry.jpg

I also saw pre-cut Hokkaido’s special melons for 498 yen (I saw one whole costs 780 to 2980 yen probably depending on the farm and type!)=D

hokkaido-melon.jpg

This is going to be dinner – a very nice break from all the binge eating here hahaha.

That's it =) I could stay in the apartment happy and catch on more blogging in Sapporo without having to worry about going out again for dinner hahahaha.


Getting Lost in Japan - Chicken Karaage at Cafe Zill Sapporo, Things to Find and Buy in a Local Japanese Supermarket in Hokkaido


Do you go to local supermarkets when you go on a trip? What do you look for and what can you recommend for a particular place? (Sample: Hokkaido - Buy melons!) It can be at your own local supermarket that is a specialty in your area. Feel free to comment below =)

33 comments:

  1. Yes, I always buy on markets when I'm travelling like at Puerto Princesa I bought 1 kilo of fresh big shrimps & cooked it with butter. It taste very good & yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes,we stop by on markets when we visit places that we never been before like the tagaytay,we bought fresh pineapples

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes,in guagua pampanga u can buy big crabs fresh from the lake and cook it, and really so delicious! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I go to local markets when on a trip. I look for unique items. When in Baguio, buy sundot-kulangot (sounds disgusting but tastes oh so yummy) hehe..

    ReplyDelete
  5. when i was in Bangkok, it was convenient to stop at the nearest convenience store... its 24/7 plus well lit during wee hours of the day...

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes we always buy pasalubong evrytime we visit places like. t shirts and bags fish and other things can be memorable in that place

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup, we always buy on markets when travelling. Last year we went to baguio and we bought bunch of broccoli at strawberries.. They are at its cheapest price :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of course yes we stopped at the market. Last time in Baguio bought some fresh veggies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I go to local supermarkets and especially love to check out the local scene and street food-wares. I feel that the "essence" of a culture isn't only found in the museums, I wanted to get a feel through their food.

    Baguio - strawberries, strawberry taho, and Choco-late de Batirol

    Davao - durian, durian coffee, durian pie

    Singapore - I had this chicken burger, when I asked what I could have with it on the "side", they gave me a couple of PEPPERS :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! It's one way of seeing the local culture of the place. :) I would personally recommend a box of Pastel, a bun filled with yema (amde of milk, eggs, and sugar) from Cagayan de Oro. :D Good for sharing and bringing it as a 'pasalubong' to your loved-ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. of course, ill go to local supermarkets maybe ill find some unique stuff there

    ReplyDelete
  12. i no need to be on a trip only for to go local supermarcets as a keen-set a human :)
    need to try every taste on the world, how can i lose that chance if im at a trip :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Baguio for strawberries. Haven't gone overseas haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. yes, i do go to local supermarkets when on a trip. the last time we went to davao, we purchased durian and brought it home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, especially in Baguio. I always buy strawberries,lettuce & mushrooms there.
    When I visited Thailand few years ago, I bought tamarind,mangoes & other fruits. :) they taste so sweet and delicious. :)
    Sagada- blueberry muffin&alamid coffee
    Most of the time,I tend to buy foods to every places I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whenever I go to Tagaytay, I would not go home buying their pie. It's going to be either apple pie or buko pie! Yum!
    You should also buy their pineapple :P

    If I'll be going to supermarkets, I would buy the one that interests me :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you go to local supermarkets when you go on a trip?
    Answer: Yes! I'll go to a local supermarket to buy anything that i want.
    What do you look for and what can you recommend for a particular place?
    Answer: In Pasig City Supermarket, I buy a different ingredients to mixed in my cooked foods like Garlic,Onion,belt pepper, and etc.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Every time we go abroad me and my mom check out the local supermarket and buy some of the stuff not available in the philippines

    ReplyDelete
  19. Buko Pie, I forgot the name of the place tho hehe

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you go to local supermarkets when you go on a trip?
    Answer: Yes of course. i`m looking for things that I really want to try.
    What do you look for and what can you recommend for a particular place?
    Answer: In South City Supermarket, I buy different kinds of dress and formal outfit

    ReplyDelete
  21. Local snack items, chocolates, candies....And also instant coffee. Light to pack, easy on the budget, and great pasalubongs

    ReplyDelete
  22. yes,we stop on markets to buy something for pasalubong or what can we have while on the road.

    ReplyDelete
  23. yes, I always go to the supermarket and check what items we do not have locally so that we can try it at home to know why the items is not being imported to the philippines

    ReplyDelete
  24. i love going to supermarket esp at baguio and davao, they have fresh products and the people are very nice

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mahogany market in Tagaytay which is famous for its homegrown/local beef

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never been go travel internationally, but here in the Philippines in Baguio, to buy those strawberries and jams! They have those delicious and fresh fruits and products. But if I would go international, I would like to visit Seoul and go to local supermarket to buy some ramens and some bringgae products and ice creams!

    ReplyDelete
  27. yes and ive been looking for fruits ready to eat for hassle free..

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love going to the supermarket when going to Baguio, strawberries of course are the best thing to buy

    ReplyDelete
  29. I go to local supermarkets on out of town trips, more convenient and cheaper plus i get to see what a particular place has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  30. When we were at hongkong we used to go on local supermarkets and convenience store (7-11) We always look for something to eat like fruits: dragonfruit, oranges and apples! Sometimes we buy fish crackers and chips for our pica-pica!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Balanga‑public‑market where you can buy different native delicacies..Love the paco salad. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Hi. Thank you for sharing your thoughts! I'd love to hear from you =)