The Junior Mt. Pulag Climb, the Sea of Clouds and the Road Trip Home

People would surely ask me "How was it?" when they find out that I'd already reached Mount Pulag. Well, for sure, I would now tell them to go to my blog for the whole story haha. There are so many things I'd like to share including my climb to Junior Pulag, the terrain on the top, the Mt. Pulag peaks (apparently, not all will climb the 2922 meter summit because they need to distribute the people climbing to watch the sunrise), the infamous sea of clouds (which depends if you're lucky that weekend) and the crazy road trip home on this post alone. If you're reading my Pulag series for the first time, I would suggest that you read the following first: the long journey even before the Pulag trek begins and what it takes to go camping overnight at this 3rd highest peak in the Philippines. Also, find out below on how you can get Anywhere Philippines Mt. Pulag GCs for 2013 from me.

mt-pulag-philippines.jpg

I think it was about 3:30 a.m. when we heard somebody wake us up for the summit climb. 20 minutes later, people were already dressed up with warmer clothes, flashlights and their cameras.

pulag-philippines.jpg

Like ants in the quiet of the night, 

mount-pulag.jpg

groups departed one by one.

mount-pulag.jpg

This shot was taken at 5:21 a.m.

mount-pulag.jpg

while this one a few minutes later by 5:54 a.m.

mount-pulag.jpg

I guess that it's time to say that I was not able to climb the summit. 

mount-pulag.jpg

I was not able to see the sunrise and the blue, the orange, the pink and the yellow.

mount-pulag.jpg

I was not able to marvel at this sight that literally took their breath away.

mt-pulag.jpg

My camera and assistant took their Pulag experience a notch higher.

mount-pulag.jpg

Where was I?

mount-pulag.jpg

No, I wasn't part of those watching the sunrise from the other peaks either.

mount-pulag.jpg

I was down at the camp catching on some sleep - my friend and I transferred tents when they left and covered ourselves with an amazing thermal blanket that Kuya Mik gave us. By the time I woke up, I was faced with my last-minute decision to rest and recover from a night without sleep. I couldn't do anything about the cold, the wind, the incessant sliding and adjusting inside the tent (inclined remember?) and I kept on thinking that our tent was going to fly off or we'll slide down the mountain sleeping. My tent mates, of course, slept through everything haha. I, however, was feeling faint by the morning. What more hardcore climbing another 2 hours plus up to the summit in the dark x 2? This was me at 5:58 a.m., 2 minutes after that picture above.

mount-pulag.jpg

It was foggy even at our camp.

mount-pulag.jpg

I guess those at the top will only see clouds when they look down. Do you see the makeshift CRs at the "other mountain" (probably around 10-15 minutes walk from where we were)?

mount-pulag.jpg

When I looked down the Camp #2, I saw clouds myself from a distance. I was after all, still 2000+ meters above everything else.

mount-pulag.jpg

7:30 a.m.
My friend (who had fever the night before) and I (who had nausea and headache the night before) decided to try climbing one more time. Kuya Mik said the day before that he will take us to Junior Pulag, not as high as the summit but still high enough and just near the camp to see the sea of clouds.

mount-pulag.jpg

So from the camp, we just walked a little then up on the right.

mount-pulag.jpg

To the left were the various peaks and summit.

mount-pulag.jpg

To our immediate right was Junior Pulag.

mt-pulag-philippines.jpg

I thought it was going to be an easy climb with the grassland but I was down on all fours and holding on to the grass to keep myself from falling. The narrow walking trail can also accommodate one person. It looked so pretty and easy from afar.

mount-pulag.jpg

I stopped for a while and looked back.

mount-pulag.jpg

7:40 a.m.
I was that high up! I was thinking this was enough and I didn't want to climb anymore. 

mount-pulag.jpg

7:50 a.m.
I kept on telling myself - just a little more and my friend was already there. I reached Junior Pulag in like 30 minutes from the camp?! 

mount-pulag.jpg

It was enough and I didn't want to think about going down. It was super steep and I just wanted to roll down hahaha. I couldn't imagine going for the summit on this weekend in the dark and I was glad I didn't. I could feel my knees shaking and my body failing me again. Frankly, I did want to stay for a while but it was getting hotter by the minute with the sun up and the sweat from all that climbing. It was also cold with the wind so I was torn - keeping my jacket and bonnet on and risk getting sick or removing my jacket and bonnet and risk getting sick as well haha. 

mount-pulag.jpg

It was so weird, we reached camp in like 20 minutes! I just wanted to sleep again hahaha.

mount-pulag.jpg

Meanwhile, all the other climbers have already made their way back by around 7 plus and were waiting for breakfast (included in the Anywhere Philippines Mt. Pulag Tour).

mount-pulag.jpg

Other porters have already reached camp and were beginning to pack the tents. The sun was super hot already by this time.

mount-pulag.jpg

12:30 p.m. 
We started to go down the same trail by 10 a.m. and arrived safely at the Ranger station! Whew! Pardon the lack of pictures, I was really on my game and picking up the pace haha. 

mount-pulag.jpg

We got to sit in front of the jeep too! Yey! =)

mount-pulag.jpg

I can't believe that the weekend was almost over.

mount-pulag.jpg

Our jeep was bouncing up and down (like your behind is quite tenderized already after haha) and I really noticed the skill of our jeep driver.

mount-pulag.jpg

My heart would skip a beat every time there's another vehicle coz there's only one road!

mount-pulag.jpg

The views from the front seat were also nice so I would recommend it =D It's a nice experience to cap it all.

mount-pulag.jpg

Our jeep stopped over at the DENR Pulag Office before continuing to Baguio for the bus ride home. 

I'd like to thank Ivy Palencia of Anywhere Philippines for organizing this trip for me and my friends. It was truly an unforgettable and worth-it experience for all of us hahaha! At the very least, I also reached Junior Pulag, experienced the sea of clouds and many many more (like altitude-sickness for one haha) =)

melody-co.jpg

Going back to finish the Pulag summit climb is definitely something to look forward to in my next Mt. Pulag trip. When I got back, I was sick for more than 2 weeks after all. Clearly, I had reached my goal. I know that my body had limits and it was not wise to abuse it or else I won't be able to travel at all. I would just have to be ready myself to be physically fit and to prepare more with the additional gear next time =) Mt. Pulag National Park has its charm and this is probably why some keep coming back. I would like to go back there again ;)

Trip Details:
To reserve:
HOTLINE: 0917.518.TRIP (8747)
EMAIL: anywhere.phils@yahoo.com


Mount-pulag-trek.jpg

For those who want a P500 Anywhere Philippines GC for a Pulag trip this 2013, here's what you need to do! You can also send me your entry via the contact form =)
1. Connect with us by liking our Facebook pages: Melody Co and Anywhere Philippines or my Twitter @miloodee.
2. Share this (click link) on your wall. You can also share this post via Twitter and tag me @miloodee.
3. Comment below with your FB page and link to your FB and/or Twitter post. 

Also, tell me why you want to go to Mt. Pulag, who would join you and/or what Philippine mountains have you climbed or not finished? I'd love to hear from you.

4. Send me your name and email through FB page message. 

Will pick the winners by April 15, 2013. I have more than one to give. =)

You can read my Pulag posts in this order: