Yummy Mediterranean Food in Manila - Restaurant Tapenade in Discovery Primea Makati!

When I'm back here in Manila, one of my favorite things to do is have an impromptu date with J! Haha. The latest restaurant that opened is Tapenade at Discovery Primea by the Discovery Leisure Company. We braved the busy streets of Makati and drove to Apartment Ridge Road to get here (the other entrance of the building is at Ayala Avenue but for cars, the parking entrance is at the back). After one meal, this all-day Mediterranean restau quickly became one of my favorite dating experiences in Manila this year. It's not only the food though that's up to my liking, the service of the staff, the ambiance and their unique offerings kept me interested throughout the meal. And I'd like to thank them for offering me a Pashmina shawl on a tray (no other restaurant has ever done that for me so you guys deserve this big thank you!) ;)

melody-co.jpg

Immediately after arriving, we were thrilled about the complimentary valet service and courteous staff. Tapenade is on the same floor as the Discovery Primea lobby and main entrance. This hotel is part of the Preferred Hotels & Resorts group. They are now open for bookings on rooms, suites, lofts and serviced apartments.

tapenade-makati.jpg

Tapenade is newly opened together with the Filipino-inspired Gilarmi Lounge, as a tribute to one of the oldest buildings in Makati which once stood at this site before Discovery Primea - the Gilarmi Apartments. Soon to open are 1824 (another bar), Edge (a garden restaurant with molecular mixology) and Flame (contemporary continental cuisine). I'm glad we got to try Tapenade first which showcases the Mediterranean-region flavors of Spain, Italy, France, Greece, Turkey and Morocco in one place here in Manila.

discovery-primea-tapenade.jpg

While waiting, I was already thinking of the time I spent in Turkey recently and how I missed Lentil Soup... They gave us a serving of foccacia and baguette served with their garlic-infused olive oil.

discovery-primea-tapenade.jpg

They have this interesting salad room, which you can just avail per person at an unlimited rate of P600+.

discovery-primea-tapenade.jpg

If you like raw oysters and cold dishes,

discovery-primea-tapenade.jpg

as well as cheese (they have this mango chevre),

discovery-primea-tapenade.jpg

cold-cuts, sauces, flavored-oils, dips, salsas,

discovery-primea-tapenade.jpg

terrines, rilettes, bread,

discovery-primea-tapenade.jpg

freshly harvested greens, dressings, condiments and vinaigrettes then this might be your dinner right here :)

discovery-primea-tapenade.jpg

What I found unique were the microgreens (found to have higher levels of vitamins and carotenoids than their mature counterparts...)! It's not alien plants though and you'll be able to recognize some like super-baby cabbage, lettuce, etc. You snip them yourself then you can eat them with your salad or use as garnishes :)

discovery-primea-tapenade.jpg

J and I both loved the sampling of Whipped Italian Ricotta with duo of Tapenade (made of black and green olives) and Grilled Ciabatta (loved the flavor and texture!) :) The actual serving size is a lot bigger than this. 

discovery-primea-tapenade.jpg

If you want to know what Tapenade is then you can try this (see the microgreen they put on top?). Hehe. Thanks, Chef!

discovery-primea-tapenade.jpg

We had the Ratatouille next which J loved.  I ordered this because I was looking for a delicious breakfast dish we ate in Turkey but obviously, it wasn't it. Haha. I'm not a fan of bell peppers.

discovery-primea-tapenade.jpg

Up next was my favorite - the Greek Salad "Horiatiki" :) It was perfect for my taste with that extra "omph"! Simple, light and basic with a burst of flavor - that's what I wanted. The first 3 because I fell in love with this dish when a European made it for me in Beijing and the last part is what the chef did to make it into Tapenade's version. Each bite, whether it was the Kalamata Olives, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Feta or Greens, was coated evenly with the Greek Oregano vinaigrette. I love my salad dressed that way if you know what I mean (wet and balanced) haha.

discovery-primea-tapenade.jpg

Since the Lentil soup was not available on that day (would just have to go back for it next time hehe), we ordered the Pumpkin Soup as recommended by our server. It was rich and had a good earthy flavor to it.

discovery-primea-tapenade.jpg

For main course, J and I shared a big plate of Spiced Lamb Kebab. It was great and the meat was well-cooked (and well, yummy spicy). Add drops of lemon for that added zing! :) The pilaf goes well with the spicy meat and J loved the Herb-Yohgurt side dish. My only suggestion would be if you order this, ask the vegetables to be separated from the meat. It's a hot plate and the salad will be cooked, have a change in taste and be soggy in no time. It's also best eaten hot.

tapenade-makati.jpg

For dessert and you're like me who loves chewy donuts then I would order the Bomboloni (again)! I only put a bit of the Passion Fruit creme (yellow part) and I can eat a spoonful of this Italian doughnut, sweet cherry compote and the Tahitian vanilla ice cream. Yummy :D

tapenade-makati.jpg

There's a whole lot on the menu that we'd like to try like the other appetizers, pastas, pizzas and meat courses :) For now though, we went home with dinner that's light enough and very satisfying.
Restaurant Details:
6749 Ayala Avenue, Makati City