Oakwood Manila's New Nostalgia Dining Lounge in Ortigas!

Going out, even for a lunch, and talking about travel does wonders for a gal like me. It's always nice to be out with people from the hotel industry and fellow wanderers. I feel like myself again after weeks of being cooped up in a confined project space. The newest Nostalgia Dining Lounge was the perfect place to unwind and reminisce =)

oakwood-manila.jpg

The Nostalgia Dining Lounge is actually where the old Oakroom was. 

nostalgia-dining-lounge.jpg

I've had a lot of memories in that place in the past few years and now, it seems like I'll be making more moments with the help of a few more things thanks to their new old concept. =)

nostalgia-manila.jpg

There's this display case with a blast from the past.

nostalgia-manila.jpg

In this digital age, I wonder how many people read travel books and books in general nowadays. I still bring some but Wattpad, blogs and magazines vie for my attention too.

nostalgia-manila.jpg

I guess these old things are fighting to stay alive like this fish (we have this same fighting fish at home!). But since they're already in our long-term memory and we associate our younger years with them, just holding them or seeing them again as cues are enough to make us smile =)

nostalgia-manila.jpg

I was actually momentarily amazed at the size of this stamp hehe. I used to collect stamps when I was a child like I said when I went to the Manila Postal Heritage Tour so this was a pretty reminder that only I can relate to in my own way.

oakwood-manila.jpg

As I looked around, I was also brought back to my many firsts, memorable food trips at Oakroom and delightful stays at Oakwood Premier Joy Nostalg's serviced aparments since 2012. I've also gained many friends and inspiration in the process. Happy 5 Years, Oakwood Manila! 

nostalgia-manila.jpg

My meals always begin with a ripe mango or watermelon shake haha.

nostalgia-manila.jpg

This time, I was thrilled to be seated just beside Manila's (only, I think) harpist Holly Angel Paraiso! She's American and she used to be based in Hawaii. Now, she lives in Manila with her Pinoy husband. A great takeaway for this lunch was my very first ever live harp performance... It felt like it was only me and her, a private concert of sorts hehe.

holly-angel-paraiso.jpg

Her repertoire included Broadway songs, old songs you would just sing to (while eating) and current ones. Edgar and I were looking forward to the beginning of each song and tried to recall what the song was haha. I was lost in my own world when she started playing A Thousand Years so beautifully. The moment was just there - friends, conversations, food and a restaurant so timely named and felt like the ultimate Nostalgia. It was the perfect occasion to be uplifted from whatever block I was experiencing. 

harpist-manila.jpg

Even resident French Chef Jerome Cartailler put the Chef's Terrine (this is just the sample size below) and other memorable dishes in the new menu. It's made of pork and veal flavored with Cognac. The original recipe has been passed down for three generations in his family. It's best eaten by hand for me because it went so well with the toasted bread and cornichon on my trio appetizer plate haha. 

nostalgia-manila.jpg

For the first time, I voluntarily tried Escargot in this puff pastry. Ramil was right - it tasted like mushrooms if you don't know what it is hehe. It was soft and went well with the pastry. I don't know why I was so hesitant to eat it when I used to love beating my sisters on munching the kuhol when I was young. Again, I was brought back to my childhood with a Nostalgia dish...

nostalgia-manila.jpg

The Crisp Pork Belly (sample size) was very nice. They recently hired Pinoy Chef Ram and Chef Jerome's wife is also Pinay so Filipino dishes are also on the menu.

nostalgia-manila.jpg

For the main course, we sampled the Chicken Supreme with Mushroom Mousse and mashed potatoes and the Pan Seared Macadamia Crusted Salmon Fillet. I loved the chicken and the fritters on top!

oakwood-manila.jpg

This is the actual serving size of the salmon (below). Although I'm not a fan of this fish, a lot of people on the table including me loved the macadamia crust twist =)

nostalgia-manila.jpg

I didn't get to try the other signature dishes Onion Gratine, Potato Gnocchi, Nostalgia Chicken Rice, Steamed Mussels and many more.

nostalgia-manila.jpg

I believe this is the Berkshire Pork "Milanese" based on Chef Jerome's favorite Osso Bucco.

nostalgia-manila.jpg

Three notable locations at The Nostalgia are The Old Manila Room which can accommodate 14 people and consumable at P10000,

nostalgia-manila.jpg

nostalgia-manila.jpg

the Cosmopolitan Shanghai Room, which can sit 6 people (consumable at P5000)

nostalgia-manila.jpg

nostalgia-manila.jpg

and the posh Bohemian Paris Room, which can also accommodate 6 guests (consumable at P5000). 

nostalgia-dining-lounge.jpg

I went back to my spot for dessert and the stories about paranormal activities (in Philippine provinces), our childhood and our travels just continued! Haha. 

nostalgia-dining-lounge.jpg

I broke my no-Chocolate streak for this but the Tartufo (actual serving size) was worth it! Without us noticing, more than 2.5 hours has passed by already and it was time to go... I wasn't the same after and created another beautiful memory =)

nostalgia-manila.jpg

As my last sweet note, they have a Valentines promo at P1500 nett per person =) The set dinner includes: 

Frozen Bellini

Seafood Bisque

Chef's Terrine (above) or Caesar Salad or Potato Gnocchi and Parma Ham (for appetizer)

Char Grilled US Beef Tenderloin or Chicken Supreme with Mushroom Mouse (above) or Pan Seared Macadamia Crusted Salmon for entree (above)

Fresh Strawberry Macaroon and White Chocolate Whipped Ganache and Superfruit Sherbet

Plus a special Valentine memory (or maybe a proposal) at The Nostalgia ;)

Update: I did have that Nostalgia Valentine date! It was so wonderful and romantic. ;) The Seafood Bisque was great then I had the Chef's Terrine (perfect because there was salad on the side), the Char Grilled US Beef Tenderloin with creamy Potato Gratin (both yummy), the Strawberry Macaroon (heaven!) and a bottle of red wine. I believe these are all available still on the menu. I can't wait to go back!!

nostalgia-manila.jpg

Restaurant Details:
6th Floor, Oakwood Premier Joy~Nostalg Center Manila
17 ADB Avenue, Ortigas Center, Pasig
Open Mondays to Sundays
637-7888 ext. 8603